On Friday 23rd January 2015 the children took part in a very special prayer walk around the school hall on the theme of Epiphany. The children visited seven prayer spaces that had been designed and planned by children of the ethos group, the church team and members of staff. Each station was led by a member of the ethos group who introduced the station, led periods of reflection and led prayers in each area. All the children also completed a short activity which built up into an interactive display . The stations and their activities were:
1. Stars—The star guided the wise men to Jesus; children were asked to reflect on who guides them in their lives
2. The Wise Men—The three wise men wanted to find things out for themselves—we thanked God for people and objects that help us to be wiser.
3. The Journey—The wise men went on a long journey; the children were asked to reflect on what values and qualities they need on their journey through life.
4. Gold— Gold is valuable and precious, we are all precious to God; we reflected on who was precious to us.
5. Frankincense –when Frankincense was burned people thought the smoke rising up would go all the way to God and he would be pleased with the gift; we wrote messages on smoke spirals to tell God how special we think He is.
6. Myrrh— Myrrh was used as perfume. We filled the Acorn room with messages of love, peace and kindness that would ‘leave a nice smell’ behind when we left.
7. Gifts—Children thought about what gifts they could give others such as the gift of friendship, compassion and trust .
We were delighted that so many parents attended the event at the end of the school day. Our thanks go to the children in the ethos group who led the event so confidently and independently. Thanks also to the St Johns team for helping to prepare the stations and for supporting the event so well .